Sunday, 4 February 2007

Bill Hicks -- Smart People (2)


Bill Hicks died of pancreatic cancer in 1994 at the age of 32. His life was short, but his influence continues to grow with every passing year.

I first saw him in the UK on an hour-long special on Channel 4. Like all great comedy it had my mind reeling from the very start—can you say those things? He laid into morons like Vanilla Ice with such a vengeance that it literally left me speechless. Plus he did it with such comic delivery and timing that he instantly became my favourite comedian.

But he wasn't just a funny guy, he was somebody who made me think. And judging by the sales of his CDs and DVDs, he's still doing the same for a lot of people around the world.

Some quick quotes:-

You know what's bugging me these days? The pro-lifers… if you're so pro-life do me a favour-don't lock arms and block medical clinics. Lock arms and block cemetaries

You know we armed Iraq. I wondered about that too, you know. During the Persian Gulf war, those intelligence reports would come out: "Iraq: incredible weapons – incredible weapons." "How do you know that?" "Uh, well … we looked at the receipts."

Why is pot against the law? It wouldn't be because anyone can grow it, and therefore you can't make a profit off it, would it?

I'll show you politics in America. Here it is, right here. "I think the puppet on the right shares my beliefs." "I think the puppet on the left is more to my liking." "Hey, wait a minute, there's one guy holding out both puppets!"



To find out more about Bill Hicks see Bill's Entry in Wikipedia


4 comments:

hthth said...

I've been meaning to watch Hicks for a few years, and I think I have to now, seeing how hilarious those quotes are.

Richie said...

Hello hthth,

Welcome to my blog! Thanks for leaving a comment. One question, how do I prounounce your name? :O

Anonymous said...

Usually I don't read article on blogs, but I would like to say that this write-up very pressured me to try and do so! Your writing style has been amazed me. Thanks, very nice article.

my web blog; stylishfashiononline.com
Check out my homepage : basic fashion tips

Anonymous said...

Hello very cool website!! Guy .. Excellent .
. Superb .. I'll bookmark your blog and take the feeds also? I am glad to find numerous helpful information here in the put up, we want work out more strategies on this regard, thanks for sharing. . . . . .

Here is my web-site :: norway travel tips
My web page :: maui travel tips