Tuesday, 26 December 2006

Stupid Shop Assistants (2)

Seth Godin has a word or two to say about the importance of customer service here: Customer Service

The photo shows a shop assistant talking on the phone while at the check-out desk. I think we've all suffered from a shop assistant who was too busy chatting with colleagues or talking on the phone to actually do their job and help us.

Seth says that the reason we get so angry about bad customer service is that we've all given good customer service at some point in our lives.

That's true but I think the answer is simpler. We go into the shop with the intention to buy something. The shop exists to sell something. Anything that gets in the way of this simple transaction is frustrating. A shop assistant who is too busy to deal with you, or who deals with you in a poor way, causes you to get angry. It's natural.

Imagine you came to this web page and instead of articles and comments you found a message saying, "Richie is just off doing something else at the moment, he may be back soon or he may not." Would you find that a satisfactory experience?

This is what makes internet shopping so attractive. It cuts out all (or at least a lot of) the hassles of shopping.

7 comments:

Adrian said...

I hate people without a sense of professionalism.

FIRE THEM ALL!!

pink ginger 珂琳 said...

you were right, a bad service may ruin your day, kill your mood.
Your blog is interesting.

Richie said...

Adrian: I like your style.

Pink Ginger: Thank you!

Everybody: please feel free to leave comments here about any bad experiences you've had with stupid shop assistants--plus how you dealt with the situation.

Michael-From-The-Future said...

*
Hello Richie & everyone,

I have had this happen to me once. I stood at the counter for 10 seconds or so and quickly realized the assistant was talking (on the phone) to a friend and laughing. A few more seconds went by and she turned to the side (faced away from me)and continued talking ... I laid down my items and walked out.

What I should have done was called the store later and reported it to the management, but I didn't.

It's sad and this is why.
There are MANY people who are looking for work, and many SERVICE MINDED people who could do and WOULD DO a much better job (and even create happy returning customers).

Yet people like that hold those posistions. That's ridiculous *

HAPPY HOLIDAYS and here's to BETTER SHOPPING EXPERIENCES !

Michael-From-The-Future!
QUESTION of the DAY !

Adrian said...

The employees at my convenience store of choice are all of Indian origin and dont speak English very often.

I find it rude and ignorant that they speak in a language I cant understand, especially when Im paying for my groceries.

AND THEY NEVER SMILE.

I hate that more than anything.

Bill Brown said...

Adrian,
I'm confused...When the store treats you badly, why do you go back?
Bill

Richie said...

Bill Brown: Took the words right out of my mouth.

Adrian: I was born in England but chose to go and live in Spain. As a matter of course, the first thing I did was to enrol in Spanish classes. If you decide to go and live in a foreign country, you learn the language--simple as that. When I'm at home I speak in English, when I'm with people who speak Spanish I speak Spanish.

A shop is a place to make customers feel welcome-speaking your native tongue is not going to do that.

Why don't you say something in a polite way to the shopkeepers? They may not even realise that they're doing it.